Forums replace Guestbook

Questions and comments on TheNorthernSpy.com, the Macintosh and other computing issues.

Moderator: rsutc

rsutc

Forums replace Guestbook

Postby rsutc » 2003 10 07 1038

The Northern Spy has replaced the guestbook with a new bulletin board forum. A forum participant could win free webhosting.

Read more...

Source: The Northern Spy
Macintosh Column and Portal
Rick Sutcliffe
Non-fiction, Christian SF, and columns
http://www.arjaybooks.com

Postby Guest » 2003 11 04 1407

Hi Rick,

When and how will the free webhosting be selected??

Mirko

arjay
Site Admin

Postby arjay » 2003 11 06 1639

Mirko wrote:Hi Rick,

When and how will the free webhosting be selected??

Mirko

I was hoping for several hundred posts and was planning to put the names of all who had asked about it and had posted say 10 times in a hat, then draw one. I may have to scale that down as it has been slow getting going. However, I will draw one no later than Dec 1.
Rick Sutcliffe, Administrator Arjay Forums

Postby Guest » 2003 11 07 0914

I know, it is very difficult to get a lively forum discussion going. I don't know what kick-starts it.
For example: I use Freeway as my web-design package, and FreewayTalk, the user-discussions over e-mail are the liveliest and most to the point I've ever seen.
There is also a forum dedicated to exactly the same issues, and in principle that would have the advantage of being able to follow a thread.

But is is a very quite place, compared to the e-mail list. Why? Really don't know.

Anyway: I hope it picks up!

Mirko

Re: Forums replace Guestbook

Postby Guest » 2003 11 07 0919

rsutc wrote:[ A forum participant could win free webhosting.
[/url]

And by the way: you state "could win" so there is a bail out clause in there already!

Mirko

rsutc

Re: Forums replace Guestbook

Postby rsutc » 2003 11 07 1651

Mirko wrote:
rsutc wrote:[ A forum participant could win free webhosting.
[/url]

And by the way: you state "could win" so there is a bail out clause in there already!

Mirko

I am as good as my word. There will be one winner before Christmas, and a second in the spring sometime, even if it stays fairly quiet here.

Rick
Rick Sutcliffe

Postby Guest » 2003 11 26 1555

Rick,

Do you have any measure how many people actually visit the Forums (Fora?)?
This Northern Spy section seems to host only you, and a few lines of myself. But maybe there are frequent passr-by's that just don't like the subjects?

Mirko

rsutc

Postby rsutc » 2003 11 27 0624

Mirko wrote:Rick,

Do you have any measure how many people actually visit the Forums (Fora?)?
This Northern Spy section seems to host only you, and a few lines of myself. But maybe there are frequent passr-by's that just don't like the subjects?

Mirko

To date, there are 30 members, with new ones drifting in occasionally. I actually opened the forums for public discussion before they were completely ready and I had properly prepared them. (My originial intention was to have them experimental until January, but some of my customers noticed them, so I ended up doing some promotion.) I will continue to promote these forums, though perhaps at a lesser rate until the Red Hat thing settles, as I am likely going to be faced with moving all the accounts to a new OS in the near future.
Rick Sutcliffe

Postby Guest » 2003 11 27 0957

rsutc wrote: I will continue to promote these forums, though perhaps at a lesser rate until the Red Hat thing settles

What's that Red Hat thing then?

rsutc

Postby rsutc » 2003 11 27 1451

Mirko wrote:
rsutc wrote: I will continue to promote these forums, though perhaps at a lesser rate until the Red Hat thing settles

What's that Red Hat thing then?

Red Hat has announced it will discontinue support for 7,8, and 9,. My box uses 8. That means I will have to change OS sometime fairly soon, a daunting task. So I'm not going to set up any new stuff for the next little while.
Rick Sutcliffe

Return to “The Northern Spy”