John Steinbeck: A Comment

Rick Sutcliffe's texts; other non-fiction topics

Moderator: rsutc

RonPrice

John Steinbeck: A Comment

Postby RonPrice » 2006 10 07 0433

SOME EARLY NOTES OF THE CLARION CALL TO ONENESS

Oneness, the unity, interdependence and interrelatedness of all of life, is at the heart of John Steinbeck's writings, at least for the twenty-five year period 1941-1966. This concept is also at the heart of the Baha'i teachings. This poem draws these two phenomena together: a famous American novelist and a movement with pretensions to being the emerging world religion that will institutionalize this oneness in all the spheres of life over the next several centuries and beyond. Without a set of guidelines agreed to by all the nations of the world and set within some legal framework with mutual coercions mutually agreed upon, this unity, this oneness, can never be safeguarded and protected along the elastic string of time.
-Ron Price with thanks to Steinbeck and the Environment: Interdisciplinary Approaches, editors, S. Beegel, S. Shillinglaw and W. Tiffney, the University of Alabama Press, London, 1997.

You've1 been going strong since
at least those world order letters2
and by the time the first Seven
Year Plan was set in motion3
your ethical imperatives were
defining the importance of a
harmony with all living things;
seeing the oneness of all of life
was at the centre of your entire
corpus until after I went pioneering,
your Travels with Charlie was published
and you got the Nobel Prize for literature--
all in 19624 . I was only eighteen then and
had only begun to travel oneness's road.

1 the famous American writer John Steinbeck
2 Shoghi Effendi: 1929-1931.
3 1937: the beginning of the international teaching program of the international Baha'i community
4 1962 saw the publication of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring with its similar ecological and socio-political message. I had joined the Baha'i Faith and had just begun to take it seriously in 1962.

Ron Price
7 November 1998
I am a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 36 years(in 2008) I am married to a Tasmanian and have been for 33 years after 8 years in a first marriage. I have been associated with the Baha'i Faith for over 50 years.

RonPrice

Six Months Later: Steinbeck's Grandparents

Postby RonPrice » 2007 01 04 2113

This prose-poem takes the Steinbeck story back to the 1850s.... :arrow:

MISSED HIM BY A HAIR

In the 1850s the American writer John Steinbeck's grandfather, Johann Steinbeck, left Germany to live in Palestine. He married a woman of American descent Almira Dickson in 1854. In 1858 he and his wife returned to the United States. They had gone to Palestine as part of the Protestant millennial enthusiasms regarding the Second Coming. Johann Steinbeck and his wife, Almira, chose to live in Florida where their third son, John Ernst, the father of John Steinbeck was born. Johann enlisted in the Civil War and afterward the family moved to Massachusetts to be near Almira’s family. Ten years later they tried their luck in the West and settled in California. There John Ernst married and in 1902 a son was born to him. He was the now famous writer, John Steinbeck. -Ron Price with thanks to Yaron Perry, "John Steinbeck's Roots in Nineteenth Century Palestine," Steinbeck Studies, Vol.15, No.1, 2004.

They missed Him by a hair, John.
They really had no idea how to look
at the true meaning of prophecy.
Well, they had some idea, nearly
died trying amidst the violence,
the heat, the pain and suffering.

They believed He would come
like a thief in the night and so
He did at the same time they
were nestling in Palestine--
the first intimations of that
Revelation when He was like
a man asleep and He was taught
all that was and all that would be.
This was not from Him but from
Someone Who was Almighty and
All-knowing and He bid Him lift
up His voice--and He did while
they were hoping and believing--
He would come!

Ron Price
5 January 2007
I am a Canadian who has been living in Australia for 36 years(in 2008) I am married to a Tasmanian and have been for 33 years after 8 years in a first marriage. I have been associated with the Baha'i Faith for over 50 years.

Return to “Non Fiction”